Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Goodbye for now Grandpa Farrell Summers

Matt's sweet Grandfather passed away last Thursday night. We got a phone call about 3am from Matt's dad to tell us the news. So we packed everyone up and drove to Northern Utah, Tremonton to be exact, on Friday. We spent most of our time at Grandma and Grandpa's house talking with Grandma Summers and with other family that stopped by. We helped with getting things ready for the funeral also.

It broke my heart every time I saw Grandma Summers cry. She loved Grandpa Summers so much and already missed him so much it hurt. If I have my numbers correct they were married for over 65 years. What a life they had together. Not to mention all their posterity. They had 6 children, 33 grandchilren and I can't count the great granchildren but there was a lot. At the funeral just the family filled up almost the entire chapel if that gives you a better idea. The number of people that came to the viewing the night before the funeral was amazing. The viewing was to be from 6-8pm. It went well past 8:30pm and the line never had a break. It was so neat to see all the people whose lives have been touched in one way or another by Grandpa Summers. He was the only Grandfather I ever really knew. He is a wonderful grandfather to have. I will miss his laughter, his hugs and his stories of his beloved family.
We were able to visit with Grandma and Grandpa Summers in July this summer. I took this picture of them, aren't they so darling. I love that they are holding hands. Grandma Summers told me a few times this weekend that Grandpa would always say, "We could have a million dollars, but if we didn't have family we wouldn't have anything." Grandpa Summers will truly be missed.

6 comments:

Kellie DeMille said...

I'm so glad you were able to go. What a sweet man! Was he very sick or was this sudden?

Sarah said...

Oh how sad. It sounds like he was a wonderful man!

kelly said...

so fun to see you. . .could you email me that picture? It's perfect!
chwood@frontiernet.net

bloodfamily said...

Aren't you glad that you took time out to go and visit them in July - and to take that picture. That's definitely a keeper. What a great man. I agree - they are a cute couple, and it sounds like they both have their priorities straight - FAMILY. I'm sorry for your loss.

Jenny said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa passing away. Sounds like a wonderful funeral though. Hope your family is enjoying their new school year.

kelly said...

I do print out my books every 6 months. (I'm about 6 months behind!) I use Blurb (I think blurb.com but you can google it.) The have some software you download for free and then make it with that. It's a bit time consuming, but not bad, and the books/pictures are great quality. I get a hard back for us and a paperback for each of the girls to have later (right now I just put them away in their keepsake box). If you use the blog to book method, it moves your stuff right over for you and I just rearrange picture sizes and such. Good luck. . .