Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cub Scout Blue and Gold Dinner

Jake joined the cub scouts when he turned 8 last year. He has not been able to attend any activites or any pack meetings because he has been busy with wrestling. However, he has been working on his Bobcat badge all this time. Jake was finally able to attend his first pack meeting because it was held on a Friday night. The pack meeting was the annual Blue and Gold dinner. The theme was "Happy Birthday". Each cubscout had to make a cake and decorate it to go along with the theme. Jake came up with his own design and I helped a little (I promise) in putting it together. We used 3 cakes mixes and 5 containers of frosting.

Here are a few pictures of the cake making process from start to finish.

Making the cake...

The cake before being frosted...Now the cake frosted....Finally the finished product....
The cake was suppose to look like all the cubscout badges a cubscout could get and also celebrate the Boyscouts 100th birthday. I think it turned out great. It was one of the biggest cakes there. Jake got the "biggest badges cake" award. After dinner the cubscouts and their families played a few carnival games and broke a pinata.
The hightlight of the evening was when Jake received his Bobcat badge. I also received a pin that looks like Jake's badge. It was really cool to have my "boy" receive his first of many cubscout/boyscout awards. We are all really proud of him.
This is a picture of Jake carrying the pack flag. It was his first time.

Jake and I showing off his bobcat badge and my new pin.

Way to go Jake!!

4 comments:

Casey said...

I just learned more about scouting in your one post than I ever have in my whole life. What a fun night. GREAT CAKE! How creative. He must get that from your side of the family.

bloodfamily said...

Okay Melissa - now you need to get a Mothers ribbon for all those pins! It's pretty cool. Congrats to Jake for the beginning of a fun journey to Eagle Scout.

Rachael said...

Very cool-Scouts is an area that I know NOTHING about...I guess in 3 years I will embrace it with Eli...unless I leave it up to Steve!
Where is the mention of all the work you had to do to pull off the dinner????

Sarah said...

His cake turned out great! Such a good idea.